In August we made the decision to formalize our application to the International Ski Federation (FIS) to host the 2023 Nordic Junior + U23 Cross Country World Ski Championships. Through the feasibility and due diligence work of the Steering Committee, and now the Black Tusk Nordic Events Society, we felt confident that we will be able to successfully host the event in 29 months. Through the formal support of our National Sport Organizations: Nordiq Canada, Ski Jumping Canada and Nordic Combined Skiing Canada; and our FIS liaison, Canadian Snowsports Association, Black Tusk submitted its bid to host the 10-day Championship event at Whistler Olympic Park. The FIS , through its Secretary General Sarah Lewis, acknowledged our bid and advised they would render their decision during their Annual General Congress in early October.
I would like to acknowledge and thank everyone who has put so much effort into making this bid happen. In particular, we thank Dave Dyer, Len Apedaile, Sherryl Yaeger, Jeff Ellis and Roger Soane who have completed their work with the Steering Committee and whose contribution was invaluable. The rest of the Steering Committee has taken up new positions on the Society and the Organizing Committee and I thank Reid Carter, Georgia Manhard, John Heilig, Dirk Rohde and Tim Hope for their continued contributions.
As I described in my July Chairperson report, the Black Tusk Nordic Events Society is the official host society for the bid for the 2023 Championships. The Society is made up of 10 members of which six represent the Nordic sports and the venue and four independent members bring event, leadership and business acumen to the team. The members are:
- Designate Member – Stéphane Barrette – is the CEO of Nordiq Canada, representing cross country skiing
- Designate Member – Megan Begley – is the COO of Nordiq Canada, representing cross country skiing
- Designate Member – John Heilig – representing Nordic Jumping is a FIS Technical Delegate, Sea to Sky Nordics Technical Director and former Whistler Olympic Park Venue Manager for VANOC
- Designate Member – Tony Peiffer – representing Whistler Sport Legacies, the venue owner – is a Board Member of WSL and is Chair of the Whistler Nordics Ski Club
- Designate Member – Georgia Manhard – representing Cross Country BC, the Provincial Sport Organization
- Designate Member – Dirk Rohde – representing the Sea to Sky and Lower Mainland Nordic clubs through Callaghan Valley XC
- Independent Member – Kevin Pettersen – was the Chair of the 2019 World ParaNordic Skiing Championships and former Chair of Caledonia Nordic Ski Club
- Independent Member & Treasurer – John McLaughlin – was VP Finance for the 2010 Bid Corporation and VANOC during the 2010 Winter Olympics as well as Concert Properties
- Independent Member & Vice Chair – Reid Carter – is Chair of Cross Country BC and former Managing Director of Brookfield Asset Management
- Independent Member & Chairperson – Norman Laube – is former Chair of Hollyburn Cross Country Ski Club and was President & CEO of Surrey City Development Corporation
In my next update I will provide an overview of the Organizing Committee leads and what we are focusing on. In the meantime, we are busy working towards hosting the January 2021 World Junior Trials competition at Whistler Olympic Park. In particular, much planning is going into working with ViaSport, the Province and Nordiq Canada on COVID19 protocols to allow the event to occur.
Please browse through our new website – www.blacktusknordic.com – to see more detail on our progress.
Chairperson – Local Organizing Committee
Black Tusk Nordic Events Society
FIS Nordic Junior + U23 Cross Country World Ski Championships